RECOMMENDATION 15: Concerning Syria, some elements of that negotiated peace should
- Syria's full adherence to UN Security Council Resolution 1701 of August 2006, which
provides the framework for Lebanon to regain sovereign control over its territory.
- Syria's full cooperation with all investigations into political assassinations in Lebanon,
especially those of Rafik Hariri and Pierre Gemayel.
- A verifiable cessation of Syrian aid to Hezbollah and the use of Syrian territory for
transshipment of Iranian weapons and aid to Hezbollah. (This step would do much to solve
Israel's problem with Hezbollah.)
- Syria's use of its influence with Hamas and Hezbollah for the release of the captured Israeli
Defense Force soldiers.
- A verifiable cessation of Syrian efforts to undermine the democratically elected government of
- A verifiable cessation of arms shipments from or transiting through Syria for Hamas and other
radical Palestinian groups.
- A Syrian commitment to help obtain from Hamas an acknowledgment of Israel's right to
- Greater Syrian efforts to seal its border with Iraq.
Email this to a friend.
Previous item —